Parts of Speech
What's a noun?
- A word that names a person, place, or thing.
- A singular noun names only one person, place, or thing. For example, librarian, school, book.
- A plural noun names more than one person, place, or thing. For example, children, buses, backpacks.
What's an adjective?
- A word that describes a noun. It can tell what kind or how many.
- five books
- big, sparkling eyes
What's a verb?
- A word that shows action.
- An action verb tells people or things to do an action.
- A present tense verb shows actions that are happending now. For example, I run fast.
- A past tense verb shows an action that has already passed. For example, I ran fast.
- A future tense verb shows an action that will happen. For example: I will run later.
What's an adverb?
- An adverb is a word that describes a verb.
- It can tell how, when or where.
- For example, I read books quickly.
- I always read at night.
What's an exclamation?
- A word, phrase, or sentence that shows strong feeling.
- The sentence is followed by an exclamation point.
- For example: What a terric book!